Prep 2 hrs
Cook 35 mins
Here's another celebrity recipe from my collection, to yours!
Make and share this Alan Thicke's Irish Freckle Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups white flour (may need more)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 packages fast rise yeast
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup cooked mashed potatoes
- 1 cup chopped dates
- In a large bowl, combine together 1 cup of the whole-wheat flour, 1 cup of the white flour, the sugar, the undissolved yeast and the salt.
- Heat butter and water together until very warm (125F to 130F); gradually stir the warm liquids into the dry ingredients.
- Then stir in eggs, mashed potatoes, dates and the additional flours to make a soft dough; add a few more tbsp of the white flour if need be.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cover and let rest on a floured surface for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 4 equal pieces; shape into 4 slender loaves-- about 8-1/2 inches long.
- Set 2 loaves side-by-side in each of 2 well-greased 8-1/2-by-4-1/2-inch loaf pans.
- Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until done.
- Remove from pans; cool on wire racks.