Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe came about after a trip to Mississippi, New Orleans and Alabama...had a pie in a restaurant in Alabama that was awesome but they wouldn't give me the recipe. This was the closest I could come to duplicating it.
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 9" unbaked pie shell
- whipped cream, optional
- In a large bowl, thoroughly blend sugar, flour and nutmeg.
- Stir in half and half, add eggs, mix well.
- Add lemon juice, peel and margarine.
- Beat well to blend.
- Pour into pie shell, bake in preheated 375° oven 45 minutes or until center is almost firm.
- Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
Rich and delicious....especially with a good dollop of vanilla ice cream.