Alabama Fudge-Pecan Chewies
- Add condensed milk, chocolate, and butter to a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate and butter melt.
- Remove from heat and stir in flour, chopped pecans, and vanilla.
- You can let the mixture cool slightly if you wish, but don't let it get too cool as it will be harder to get a nice-looking cookie - they'll have jagged edges if the mixture has started to set and doesn't "flow" slightly.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. You can fit a lot of these on a cookie sheet, as they hardly spread at all. Press a pecan half into the center of each cookie.
- Bake sheets one at a time on a rack placed in the center of the oven. Bake at 350° for 7 minutes. (Do not overbake.) Let sit for one minute on the cookie sheet to set up a bit, then immediately transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.