Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Don't know why these are called Alabama Biscuit Muffins, but hey, I'm from Alabama so I'm proud to claim them! I love breads made with buttermilk---they just seem to be richer tasting. This recipe is from "The Glory of Southern Cooking" by James Villas.
- 591.47 ml all-purpose flour
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 147.89 ml chilled butter, cut into bits (1 1/4 sticks)
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees; grease a 12-cup muffin tin with butter and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Add the butter and rub it into the flour with your fingertips till the mixture is mealy.
- Add the buttermilk and stir till the dough is slightly firm.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin tin and bake in the center of the oven till brown and crusty, 40-45 minutes.
Such a good recipe I plan on making these agian, a tender inside with a bit of a crunchy top, and I loved the little touch of sweetness in them,I also love the cookbook it comes from there's a good southern story with each recipe.