1/2 Photos of Alabama BBQ Chicken and White Sauce (Grilled)
1 hr 15 mins
Had this at a friend's house this weekend and it was great. Very different. She used a "Green Egg Smoker" which cooked the chicken slowly and kept it very moist. You can use boneless, skinless breasts and then serve them on nice bread with lettuce leaves, pickles (if you like) and the white sauce! My friend got the recipe from "Smoke and Spice" and this is a similar one from The BBQ General website from a magazine called Cook's Country. Hope you like it. I don't have a smoker but I can try indirect heating. I have a gas grill too so there are obstacles but I can experiment!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the sauce
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the chicken
- 1For the sauce, mix all ingredients in blender until smooth, about 1 minute. Refrigerate sauce in airtight container for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
- 2For the chicken, mix salt, black pepper, and cayenne in small bowl. Rub spice mixture all over chicken.
- 3Soak wood chips in bowl of water to cover for 15 minutes. Meanwhile open bottom grill vents completely. Light large chimney starter filled with charcoal briquettes (about 90 coals) and burn until charcoal is covered with fine gray ash. Place 13 by 9 inch disposable aluminum roasting pan in center of grill. Pour half of coals into pile on each side of grill, leaving pan in the center. Scatter wood chips over coals and set cooking grate in place. Cover with lid vents positioned over center of grill and opened halfway. Let grill heat for 5 minutes.
- 4Dip wad of paper towels in oil and oil grate, holding paper towels with long-handled tongs. Place chicken skin side down on center of grill. Cover with half opened lid vents over chicken.
- 5Grill chickens until skin is well browned, 35 to 45 minutes. Flip chickens skin side up and grill, covered, until breast meat registers 165* on instant-read thermometer, 15 to 20 minutes longer.
- 6Transfer chickens to cutting board, brush with 2 tablespoons sauce, tent with foil, and let rest 10 minutes. Remove foil and brush chicken with 1 tablespoon sauce.
- 7Carve and serve, passing remaining sauce at table.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Alabama BBQ Chicken and White Sauce (Grilled)
Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 409.0
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 127.9 mg
- Sodium 590.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 38.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: