1/1 Photo of Al Kabsa - Traditional Saudi Rice (& Chicken) Dish
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Um Safia's Note:
Al Khabsa / Khabsa is very traditional. It can be made with many variations - this is just one of them - I hope to post more! Use chicken for this recipe, my others have lamb instead.....I have revised the recipe as of 09/02/09, although when I cook it the amounts are correct - perhaps it's the rice I use?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 lbs chicken, cut into 8-10 pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 14 ounces canned chopped tomatoes, un-drained (or fresh)
- 3 medium carrots, grated
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- 1 pinch ground coriander
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2 1/4 cups basmati rice (don't rinse or soak this)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
Kabsa Spice Mix
- 1Melt butter in a large stock pot, casserole or dutch oven. Add chicken pieces, onion & garlic & sauté until onion is tender. Stir in tomato puree & simmer over a low heat for a couple of minutes.
- 2Add tomatoes, carrots, cloves, all the spices & salt and pepper. Cook for a couple of minutes. Add the water & Maggi cube.
- 3Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Add rice to the pot & stir carefully. (if you're wanting to brown the chicken in the oven - remove it from the pot now & place in the preheated oven).
- 4Re-Cover & simmer for 35 - 40 minutes - adding the raisins for the last 10 minutes - or until rice is tender.
- 5Place the rice on a large serving dish, topped with the chicken & garnished with almonds. Serve with a fresh mixed salad - preferably with a little lime vinaigrette. Saudis like their Kabsa with a hot sauce called 'Shattah'.
- 6N.B: You can also 'finish' the chicken pieces off in the oven by cooking them for 25 - 30 minutes at 180 C whilst the rice is cooking. (but don't let them become dry).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Al Kabsa - Traditional Saudi Rice (& Chicken) Dish
Serving Size: 1 (366 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 678.4
- Calories from Fat 314
- Total Fat 34.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 142.9 mg
- Sodium 344.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 37.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: