Recipe by teapotter
This was the first meal I cooked and served to company about 25 years ago. I got the recipe originally from Better Homes & Gardens in 1978 from an article about men who cook. This lasagna intrigued me since it was the first time I had thought about lasagna without a tomato based sauce. This freezes well. I have used both white and orange colored cheddar for this. I don't remember who Al Brown was but thanks Al Brown, where ever you are!
Top Review by seggerman
I am so psyched to have re-found this recipe. Best lasagne we've ever had. The recipe was printed in the New York Times as Al Brown's White Lasagne. That was ages ago. Probably 40 years anyway. I made it once a year for years (it's very rich, not an everyday lasagne). But then one day, the recipe was Gone from my recipe book!! Krikey!! Well, I scoured the internet periodically, scoured the NYT site. No luck. Then, one day, there it was in Food.com! Woo-Hoo!! Hope you like it too.
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 cup light cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded gouda cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream-style cottage cheese
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 12 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- In a skillet cook beef, celery, onion, and garlic till meat is browned and vegetables are tender. Drain off fat if any, and wipe out the pan.
- To the meat in the pan add the seasonings, cream, and cream cheese. Cook and stir over low heat to melt the cheese.
- Stir in wine. Gradually add cheddar and gouda cheese, stirring and heating till cheese is nearly melted; remove from heat.
- Stir together egg and cottage cheese.
- Layer half the noodles in a greased 13x9 baking dish. Top with half the meat sauce, half the cottage cheese, and half the mozzarella cheese. Repeat the layers.
- Bake uncovered in a 375 F oven for 30 to 35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Makes about 12-16 servings.