From vegetarianrecipesandcooking.com, posted for ZWT 9--"Muang Sing villagers operating the community-based ecotourism trekking business Akha Experience taught The Boat Landing staff this recipe when they trained at the guest house in July 2005. Traditionally, this Akha salad is made with either ginger or sesame seed, but never both. Each version is delicious and great served warm or cold."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb green beans, ends removed
- 12 garlic cloves, roasted and peeled (roast the entire head before peeling the cloves)
- 1 piece ginger, thumb-size, roasted and peeled (if not using sesame seeds)
- 2 -3 tablespoons sesame seeds (if not using ginger)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sawtooth herbs, chopped (or substitute culantro)
- 2 tablespoons spring onions, white stalk and greens, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint leaf, chopped (or substitute cilantro)
- 1Slice the beans diagonally or halve them. Steam the beans for a few minutes until lightly cooked. Remove to a mixing bowl.
- 2Dry roast the sesame seeds until golden. Remove them before completely browned. Set aside to cool.
- 3Put the peeled, roasted garlic cloves and salt in a mortar. Slice the roasted ginger if using. Add to the mortar. Pound the ingredients together until well-integrated. Tip this mixture over the beans.
- 4Add the soy sauce and gently mix into the salad by hand. Add the chopped mint and sawtooth herb.
- 5Add the dry roasted sesame seeds if using and gently mix in by hand.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Akha Beans
Serving Size: 1 (89 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 133.3
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2683.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: