1/2 Photos of Ajiaco Bogotano (Chicken and Potato Soup, Bogota Style)
Ajiaco is a typical dish in Colombia. It has a lot of potatoes since Bogota is in the mountains and potatoes are plentiful. This recipe calls for yucca which can be found in the produce section or frozen (Goya). If you cannot find it, just use Yukon gold potatoes, both will all but disintegrate and thicken the broth. Corn on the cob is cut into 1 inch rounds and thrown into the soup. They are easier to cut if you rotate the corn, eventually the cob will break. Once you remove the cover, you'll get a burst of sweet corn aroma. An avocado half is served either on the side, so you can take a spoonful of avocado and dip it in the soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs (4 thighs)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb potato, cut into large dice
- 3/4 lb yucca root or 3/4 lb yukon gold potato, cut into large dice
- 1 ear of corn, cut into 1 inch rounds
- 4 cups chicken stock (try Bold Rotisserie Chicken Flavor)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon capers (heaping)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- 1In a large skillet, brown chicken (seasoned with salt and pepper) in oil then add to Dutch oven or pressure cooker.
- 2Put potatoes, yucca and corn in pot and season with salt and pepper and cayenne, if using; pour chicken stock into pot.
- 3Meanwhile, cook onions and garlic in skillet until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 4Pour in 1 cup water and loosen the bits stuck to the bottom; pour all into pot.
- 5Cover pot and cook over medium heat 40 minutes for Dutch oven and 30 minutes in pressure cooker (you will have to lower the heat to low once the pressure is built up in the pressure cooker).
- 6Once done, taste for seasoning, stir in cream, capers, and cilantro, if desired.
- 7Ladle into bowls and serve with an avocado on the side.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ajiaco Bogotano (Chicken and Potato Soup, Bogota Style)
Serving Size: 1 (496 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 523.8
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 113.9 mg
- Sodium 377.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 26.9 g