Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Peruvian aji panca chili paste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb aji panca chile, dried
- Stem and devein the ajies (keep some veins if you want a very spicy paste).
- Toast in dry skillet over high heat for a few minutes, then blanche.
- Blanche 1, 2, or 3 times (in a change of water each time) for more or less spiciness. Spiciness reduces with each blanching.
- Process ajies in a blender or food processor with a steel blade, with just enough water and oil to make a thick paste.
- Push the mixture through a fine sieve.
- Discard any remaining skin and veins.
- Prep and cooking time is estimated.
- Recipe from The Art of Peruvian Cuisine by Tony Custer.