Prep 6 hrs
Cook 5 mins
This is Lebanese basic dough. Ideal for Fatayers, Pastries etc. Got this from an authentic Lebanese food website.
- 5 cups plain flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups tepid water
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Sift the flour into a working surface.
- Mix in salt and sugar. Make a well in the centre.
- Pour olive oil and vegetable oil in the well.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the liquid.
- Add water gradually. Knead the dough into a ball (if the dough is too stiff add some water).
- Knead the dough on a floured working surface until it is smooth and elastic this can be done in an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, or in a food processor.
- Form the dough into a ball and put into a lightly floured bowl, covered with a damp cloth. Leave in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size- about 6 hours.
Tastes great! I'm not leaving a star rating because my dough did not rise. I'm suspecting yeast needs to be added to the recipe. The dough still worked well for Recipe#263613 - nice flavor and easy to work with. This was a treat for us since we usually wouldn't make a dough with this much oil. Made for Pick a Chef Spring 2008.