1/1 Photo of Ají De Lentejas (Bolivian Spicy Lentil Stew)
A Bolivian vegan recipe from Around the World. The salsa is also typical of Ecuador, Chile, Peru, and northern Chile. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon smoked dried hot pepper, ground (chipotles for a very spicy meal, or Chile Ancho for a milder aji)
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped (divided)
- 1/2 bunch Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup dried lentils
- olive oil
- salt, pepper
- 1Sarsa (salsa):.
- 2Mix ingredients, and set aside, The longer it sits, the more the lime juice infuses everything with flavor.
- 3To cook the lentils:.
- 4Put in a saucepan, cover with water. Add salt, 1/2 garlic clove and oil. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Drain and remove the garlic. Set aside.
- 5While the lentils are cooking, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- 6Fry the garlic and the parsley on medium heat until the garlic is golden. Add the chopped onion until the onions become shiny (this means they're cooked but not yet golden).
- 7Add the ground hot pepper and a splash of water. Let it cook for 1 minute. Keep stirring. Add the chopped tomatoes, 1/4 cup of water, salt and pepper.
- 8Cover and cook for 25 minutes at low-medium heat.
- 9Add lentils and mix with sauce.
- 10Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- 11Serve with white or brown rice and top with 1-2 spoons of sarsa(salsa).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ají De Lentejas (Bolivian Spicy Lentil Stew)
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 217.2
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 12.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.7 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 14.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: