Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
I found this recipe on the internet and thought it sounded good so I have posted it here to share and for safe keeping. It is spiced ground beef/lamb baked on top of flat bread. Recipe adapted from "Saudi Arabia Magazine" (an official publication of the Information Office of the Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia). The serving amount and time to make is my guess.
- 4 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 bunch leek
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef or 3⁄4 lb lamb
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons vinegar 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed (for decoration)
- Dissolve yeast in half cup warm water.
- Put flour in a large bowl, make a well in center and add eggs, oil, yeast, salt and pepper and cumin.
- Mix to combine.
- Add water a little at a time until you have a firm dough. Put dough in an oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Place dough in a warm place for at least two hours.
- Chop leeks finely. Put in a colander and wash carefully until all dirt is removed. Pat dry with a tea cloth or paper towels.
- Put ground beef, onion and salt into a medium saucepan. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until cooked. Stir in leeks. Set aside until cool.
- Mix tahini with vinegar, a little water, black pepper and salt. When you have a smooth paste add to leek and meat mixture, mixing thoroughly.
- When dough has risen, roll out into circular shapes of medium thickness, spread the meat mixture over the dough leaving edge uncovered. Sprinkle with poppy seeds, and place in preheated 350°F oven for half an hour or until bread is baked.