Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a good way to soak up smells. It is fragrence free and really works! The activated charcoal soaks up the odors and the gel, as it dries, reveals a bit of charcoal at a time so the odor removing properties last a long time! Please don't use bbq charcoal! You won't get the same results at all!
- Heat the 3/4 cup of water.
- While you wait, pour the gelatin over the 1/4 cup water in a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup.
- wait at least 1 minute for the gelatin to soften a bit (I stir mine to speed the process!).
- Pour the hot water over the gelatin and stir until completely dissolved. Add the salt. (to stop mold growth!).
- After the gel cools, but is not beginning to set, pour it into whatever containers you plan to use (jelly jars etc).
- Add enough activated charcoal so that it is just below the surface of the gel. (If the gel is still hot the charcoal will cause it to fizz. This is not a problem, the gel will still set.).
- Let set a few hours.
- Put them where ever you want (I put one under the sink to get rid of that garbage smell, and one in my husband's car to help get rid of the stale smoke smell!).