Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
There are some other air bun recipes which are the same or similar to this... but this is one my mom always made at Christmas time so I'm posting it so I don't lose it :) we eat these as part of our cold Christmas Eve dinner every year. Then we eat them with turkey after Christmas dinner! I also once accidentally used this recipe to make pizza dough... best volcano pizza ever! :) *NOTE: Prep time does not include rising time.
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast (or 1 envelope)
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 8 -10 cups white flour
- Combine first 3 ingredients and let proof for 10 minutes.
- Mix next 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add yeast mixture to sugar-oil-water mixture.
- Mix in 8-10 cups of flour or enough to make a nice soft dough that doesn't stick to your hands.
- Put dough in a well greased container and let rise in a warm place.
- Knead down once and let rise again.
- Form into small balls (about 2" diameter or so) and place on a cookie sheet.
- Let rise again until light and fluffy.
- Bake in preheated oven 400F for 10-15 minutes.