Recipe by ElleFirebrand
I made this up on a cold Lenten winter with a few random things I had in my cupboard. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Serve with crusty bread.
Top Review by Redsie
Great vegetarian chili! Had a nice kick to it and liked the fact that it had a mix of kidney and butter beans. Used diced tomatoes and fresh spinach and green beans. Cooked it for a bit longer and added some tomato paste to thicken it a bit (as I like my chili thick). This is a great lunch and it's healthy too!! Thanks Alexis! Made for PAC 2007.
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 0.5 (8 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In olive oil, cook onion, garlic, jalapenos and carrot until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, spices and beans, simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in green beans and spinach and season with salt and pepper and simmer an additional 10 minutes.
- If soup is too thick, add additional broth or water until desired consistency.