Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
This is reportedly the recipe for the topping used on the famous Aiken, SC City Billiards "pool hall hot dogs", with a minor adjustment made on my part regarding the amount of onions used (original recipe states "4 medium onions"). It's a sweet and tangy mixture; I like it topped with lots of shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese. (I've made this with ground turkey and it tastes pretty fine, too!) This makes enough topping for about 4 hot dogs.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 1⁄2 cups minced onions
- 4 tablespoons ballpark mustard
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup ketchup
- 4 hot dog buns
- 4 hot dogs
Directions See How It's Made
- Break up and lightly brown the ground beef in a 4-quart saucepan.
- Add onions and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add hot water to make a thick mix and stir together.
- Add mustard, sugar, vinegar, chili powder, and ketchup.
- Cook slowly for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Salt to taste.
- Use to top hot dogs in buns.
- (I like to lightly toast the buns with a little garlic butter first).