I saw this on an episode of Ask Aida. Makes 1 crust for a 9" or 10" pie. She suggests keeping the shortening in the freezer which will make the crust flakier. I found this dough to be easy to roll and indeed very flaky. I used the cooking time for the resting time.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Cut in the butter until there are large crumbles.
- Cut in the shortening until incorporated. The crumbles do not have to be uniform in size.
- Add the ice water by tablespoon just until the dough can be shaped into a ball.
- Form the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and let in rest in the refrigerator.
- Roll to the desired size on a floured surface, place in pie plate, and pierce the bottom with fork tines.
- While preheating the oven, put a cookie sheet in the oven. Place the pie plate on this hot surface while baking to ensure a flaky bottom crust.