Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an Authentic Costa Rican dish that my girlfriend's mother used to make us. She just passed in October and we got this recipe just in time. I thought I would put it out there for everyone to enjoy as much as we do.
- 2 cups black beans, prepared
- 1 cup white rice, prepared
- 3⁄4 small white onion
- 3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 4 tablespoons Lizano sauce (you can get it on the internet)
- Sauté onions and garlic until soft.
- Add chicken stock bring to simmer.
- Combine all other ingredients and bring back to a simmer.
- Sauté off moisture to desired consistency (I like it on the wetter side).
Wonderful recipe just like my grandma would make it! I've also tried it with pinto beans and it taste just as yummy! Thanx a lot for posting bought back some nice memories! Add some platano maduro and some salchicon (sausage) and I'm back in my grandma's kitchen!
thank you matt! doing this means the world to me and I know that my mother would have loved it too! gallo pinto goes great with everything!! PURA VIDA!
Traditional Pinto also includes 1/2 a red poblano pepper or "chili dulce,"finely diced and 1/2 tsp of minced garlic. Costa Ricans don't enjoy spicey food but I also like to include 1/2 of a finely diced jalapeno. Serve with eggs and fried plantains.