Recipe by Deantini
Ceviche is a non-cook prep method, letting the fish marinate and cook in citrus juices. The original recipe calls for Hamachi - also know as Amberjack - but this fish is not recognized by food.com. If you find it, use 1/2 cup of each type of fish. The ceviche needs to marinate for 1 hour so please plan ahead. Time for marinating is included in prep time.
Top Review by lazyme
Fabulous! This is so good! I tasted these separately before I put it all together. The papaya salad is wonderful and they're both so good together. It takes a little time to make it, but it's sure worth it. Light and refreshing. I didn't have a coconut to serve this on, but did add a little shredded coconut to the papaya salad. Thanks Deantini for a real treat! Made for ZWT7 for the Emerald City Shakers.
- 3⁄4 cup baby shrimp, peeled, deveined, diced
- 3⁄4 cup fresh ahi tuna, diced
- 3 sprigs mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 6 sprigs cilantro leaves, finely chopped, divided
- 1 -2 scotch bonnet pepper, seeded
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 limes, juiced
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups green papayas, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 coconut, cracked into 4 pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix shrimp, ahi tuna, hamachi, chopped mint, half the cilantro, chile, 3 tablespoons olive oil, lime juice, juice of 2 lemons, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt. Allow to marinate 1 hour. Drain and refrigerate.
- 2nd ceviche step:.
- While ceviche is marinating - whisk together remaining sugar, salt, oil, cilantro, lemon juice, coconut milk, and rum. Toss with seafood just before serving.
- Papaya Salad:.
- Prepare the vinaigrette in a small bowl by combining the oil, wine vinegar, mayonnaise, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Combine the papaya and vinaigrette in a large salad bowl. Sprinkle with parsley and lime juice.
- Place coconut pieces in oven for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Place papaya salad on coconut shell and top with ceviche. Garnish with mint.