Recipe by marisk
Another island favorite. Maui onion is used because of its mild sweet flavor. If adding soy sauce, add it just prior to serving. I think kukui nut oil will work just as well. I was just thinking that this would be great with chopped limu (seaweed)!
Top Review by cutiegurljeni
Born and raised in Hawaii, I know what is good poke. And this recipe is as authentic as it can be. I also added Avocado cubes in mines. Currently, the trend in Hawaii is to add Avocado. It's mean, she go (as locals like to say) . Onolicous. Alright, take it easy. Alohas!
- 2 lbs fresh ahi tuna (sushi grade for best results)
- 1 small maui onion, thinly sliced
- 3 -4 stalks green onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon hawaiian sea salt
- 1 teaspoon macadamia nut oil (optional)
- 2 teaspoons macadamia nuts, minced (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- soy sauce, to taste (optional)