Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Serve with rice.
- 4 (1/2 lb) ahi tuna steaks (2 lbs. total)
- 1 ripe papaya, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1⁄4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 2 kiwi fruits, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- To make the sauce: add all sauce ingredients to a pan over medium heat.
- Whisk for about 5 minutes or until thickened; keep warm over low heat.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place tuna steaks in a 13x9 inch baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Top with papaya and half of the citrus sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until fish flakes.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
- To serve: place tuna steaks on individual plates; garnish with kiwi slices and pass around remaining sauce.
This works quite well with chicken breast fillets instead of tuna steaks (if you're trying to keep the cost down). Obviously you have to cook it for longer: I marinated the chicken in the sauce first; cooked it under foil (without the papaya) for 15 minutes; then removed the foil and added the papaya for the remaining 15 minutes... Overall, it's very good and pretty simple to make. All that fruit is very colourful and, of course, very good for you.