Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This was on The View! OH MY GOD!!!!
- 2 lbs elbow macaroni
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 lb butter, melted
- 6 cups half-and-half
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese, grated (extra sharp)
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 cup asiago cheese, grated
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup muenster cheese, grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325°F
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until still slightly al dente, about 10 minutes.
- Drain and set aside to keep warm.Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until frothy.
- Combine the Velveeta, butter, and two cups of the half-and-half in a large bowl.
- Add the warm macaroni, tossing until the cheese has melted and the mixture is smooth. Add the remaining half-and-half, three cups of the sharp yellow cheddar cheese, the remaining grated cheeses, and salt and pepper, tossing until completely combined.
- Pour the mixture into a 9 x 13-inch casserole or baking dish and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining one cup of sharp yellow cheddar cheese and bake until golden brown on top, about 30 minutes more.
- Serve hot.
Baked marcaroni and cheese is normally not something I crave; I made it for DH -- his favorite comfort food. He and the neighbor kept eating portions on into the evening and loved it! So, this rating comes from a true m&c connoisseur.
I agree that it's a little spendy to make, but if you are a true cheese lover (which I am) this is just an amazing treat. The combination of cheeses blend beautifully. It makes enough for 2 casseroles, so you can freeze one for later. It reheats well and is simple to assemble. If you are watching your cholesterol - this recipe is NOT for you, but if you really are craving comfort food, this is the best!
This says it makes 12-16 servings, but it actually made 2 huge casseroles. I made it the night before Thanksgiving, and heated it thru for the actually dinner. We found it to be okay, but it fell far short of the expectations and the expense.