This soup looks delicious. I found the recipe at www.laylita.com/recipes. Posted for ZWT 2008.
Make and share this Aguado De Gallina or Chicken Rice Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs assorted chicken pieces
- 3⁄4 cup rice, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped red onion, about 1/2 onion
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper, about 1 pepper
- 2 roma tomatoes (peeled, seeded and chopped or canned)
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground achiote
- 8 cups chicken broth or 8 cups water
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced, about 3 1/2 cups
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes
- Heat the oil or butter in a large sauce pan. Add onions, garlic, pepper, tomatoes, parsley, oregano, cumin, achiote and salt, cook for 10 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add the chicken broth or water and bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the soaked rice and the chopped potatoes, cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the carrots and cook for 5 minutes
- Add the peas and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the both the peas and carrots are tender.
- Add the chopped cilantro and serve with avocado slices and hot sauce or aji.
Very good. I make a similar central american chicken soup but this one has a lot more spices which I was really excited to try out. Thanks for posting!
really excellent soup, especially for a cold winter's night. i only left out the peas, potatoes and achiote, but followed the rest exact. made great leftovers too, which i took to work for a couple days after. i usually get tired of leftovers but this was the first time i was sad to see them go. it was that good and will be made again often in my household. thanks for the new keeper.
Wow! This was fantastic soup. Every cuisine has its "Mom's chicken soup for what ails you" recipe. This must be it. It has layers of flavor and texture and is wonderful and comforting. After soaking and cooking so long, the rice absorbed into the broth making it thick and hearty. The potatoes carrots and peas, added later, kept their shape and texture. Don't skip the avocado and cilantro garnish, as it provides another layer of flavor and texture. We added some hot sauce to "kick it up" a bit. One thing, the cooking time indicated is not correct. It actually takes much longer but is well worth it! I'll make this one again. Great ZWT4 discovery.