This soup looks delicious. I found the recipe at www.laylita.com/recipes. Posted for ZWT 2008.
Make and share this Aguado De Gallina or Chicken Rice Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs assorted chicken pieces
- 3⁄4 cup rice, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped red onion, about 1/2 onion
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper, about 1 pepper
- 2 roma tomatoes (peeled, seeded and chopped or canned)
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground achiote
- 8 cups chicken broth or 8 cups water
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced, about 3 1/2 cups
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes
- Heat the oil or butter in a large sauce pan. Add onions, garlic, pepper, tomatoes, parsley, oregano, cumin, achiote and salt, cook for 10 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add the chicken broth or water and bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the soaked rice and the chopped potatoes, cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the carrots and cook for 5 minutes
- Add the peas and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the both the peas and carrots are tender.
- Add the chopped cilantro and serve with avocado slices and hot sauce or aji.