Recipe by strangelittlebeast
I know food.com probably doesn't need yet another recipe for this classic drink ,but this version from Saveur's Mexico issue seems to have the perfect proportion of sweet,tart,and a hint of spice,so I want to go ahead and share it anyway.Enjoy!
Top Review by Muffin Goddess
I love, love, love agua de jamaica, so I knew this would be a winner with me. I wasn't sure how the spices were going to be in this, but they were perfect (not too strong, just a hint of them in the finished drink). Since I knew this would disappear quickly between DH and I, I made a double batch (with the single-recipe amounts of spices and 2 cups of sugar). This was the perfect strength where it wouldn't get too watered down, even with a full glass of ice. I'll be using this again in the summer, for sure! Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring 2013
- 5 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 whole allspice
- 1 stick canela cinnamon
- 2 cups dried hibiscus flowers (flor de jamaica,about 2 ounces )
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the water and the spices to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in the sugar and cook for about 1 minute,or until completely dissolved.
- Add the hibiscus flowers and remove from heat.Let it steep for about 1 hour at room temperature.
- Strain and chill or serve over ice.