Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Got this from my friend Margaret, who got it from her friend Sonja, who got it from her friend Ralph. Don't you love it when recipes travel that way? It's extremely yummy and a great choice for fall. Note: This is an EXTREMELY flexible recipe, and amounts are completely up to you -- these are just the amounts I used. (This time. Next time, who knows?)
- Slice baby carrots in half lengthwise. Put in pot, cover with water, and add cider vinegar and honey.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, and simmer until carrots are cooked but still firm (al dente).
- Add radish slices and onion. You can use either thinly sliced onion, or chopped onion -- your preference. Cook another 5 minutes.
- Remove veggies with slotted spoon and refrigerate. Continue to cook the liquid until reduced to the consistency of a thin (but not too thin) syrup.
- Cool syrup and whisk in olive oil.
- When you're ready to serve, combine refrigerated veggies, thinly sliced (or diced) apple, walnuts, and raisins. Add syrup and toss well to combine.
- You can throw in anything you want -- crunchy is good (like string beans or celery) and so is sweet (like beets, raw or roasted, or roasted sweet potatoes).