Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a great creamy stove top version of rice pudding. I like it while it's still warm, but it's great cold too.
- 3⁄4 cup rice
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- Combine rice, water, salt, and butter in a pan.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- At the same time, heat the milk to scalding.
- Stir hot milk into rice, add raisins if using, cover, and simmer 15 more minutes.
- Beat eggs and sugar together.
- Add some of the hot mixture to them, stirring constantly.
- Return egg mixture to rice mixture and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- It should start to bubble.
- Pour into a bowl.
- Add the vanilla.
Excellent recipe! Rice pudding is one of my favorite comfort foods. I tried this with leftover rice. I started with 3 cups cold, cooked rice which I heated in the microwave for 2 minutes. Then added that to the scalded milk along with 2 T. butter and continued following your recipe. It was easy and very delicious!
I made this recipe for my restaurant and everyonr raved about its old-fashioned goodness. Even the old-time cooks in town said it was the best they had in a long time. Thanks for a sure-fire winner! It was easy to prepare, even for a novice like me!
This is THE BEST rice pudding I have ever had, much less made! OMG thank you for this recipe, it will be my go to when I want to make this yummy treat. If anyone is considering making this please do yourself a BIG favor and make it just as written do not, I repeat DO NOT change a thing!