Recipe by Rodger
This is a great creamy stove top version of rice pudding. I like it while it's still warm, but it's great cold too.
Top Review by Susie in Texas
Excellent recipe! Rice pudding is one of my favorite comfort foods. I tried this with leftover rice. I started with 3 cups cold, cooked rice which I heated in the microwave for 2 minutes. Then added that to the scalded milk along with 2 T. butter and continued following your recipe. It was easy and very delicious!
- 3⁄4 cup rice
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine rice, water, salt, and butter in a pan.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- At the same time, heat the milk to scalding.
- Stir hot milk into rice, add raisins if using, cover, and simmer 15 more minutes.
- Beat eggs and sugar together.
- Add some of the hot mixture to them, stirring constantly.
- Return egg mixture to rice mixture and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- It should start to bubble.
- Pour into a bowl.
- Add the vanilla.