Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Agedashi Tofu is all over the net. Here is a version without dumping Hoisin premade sauce over it. modified from Koyama Hirohisa. The history and original recipe with photos can be found here: http://web-japan.org/nipponia/nipponia13/bon.html
- 12 ounces firm tofu or 12 ounces extra firm tofu
- 1 cup dashi
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- oil (for deep frying)
- grated daikon radish
- green onion, chopped fine
- Press the tofu for at least 10 minutes. Then quarter.
- Place oil in the pan over medium heat. When it is hot, add the tofu a little at a time to avoid cooling the oil. Move the tofu gently to prevent it sticking to pan. [now you know why they supply chopsticks with Woks.].
- When tofu is crisp and golden brown on the outside, place on paper towels and let drain.
- Mix the grated radish and chopped onions together. Set aside.
- In a pan add the soy sauce and mirin to the dashi. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Arrange the tofu on serving platter and pour sauce on top. Top with the radish mixture.