Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Recipe I've yet to try, but here for safe keeping. From Cooking Pleasures magazine.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon finely minced onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup ale or 1⁄3 cup non-alcoholic beer
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded aged cheddar cheese
- 2 cups lightly packed cubed dark rye bread (1-inch) or 3 cups assorted fresh vegetables
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-low until hot. Add onion; cook 3-4 minutes until softened, stirring frequently.
- Stir in flour; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Slowly whisk in milk and ale til smooth. Whisk in celery salt and hot pepper sauce.
- Increase heat to medium; bring to a boil. Boil 2 minutes til slightly thickened, sitrring constantly.
- Remove from heat; slowly stir in cheese until melted. (Fondue can be prepared to this point up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Reheat gently over medium-low heat, stirring constantly).
- Place in fondue pot on low heat or heat-proof ceramic pot or bowl over candle warmer.