Recipe by Miss_Elaine
This recipe was published in the April 2010 Family Circle. So I will put it here for safe keeping :)
Top Review by tishishappy
I don't usually review recipes but since this one hasn't any reviews, I thought I would. Unfortunately, I found the recipe to have a couple of flaws. It should be noted I made no changes. I prepared it as the recipe was stated. 1- in the ingredients list one should be careful to note that the last three ingredients are for the icing. It isn't mentioned until you read the recipe all the way through. Luckily, I did. 2- it calls for 1.5 C. Agave syrup, which seemed like a lot to me, but I followed the recipe anyway. It turns out it was too much. The batter was a bit on the runny side. 3- the cake itself was the wrong texture altogether. WAY too heavy. Too dense. The icing was good. The flavor and taste of the cake was okay. But the texture was too much to overcome. I guess maybe it should have had way less agave, then maybe he texture would have been alright. Not trying to be over critical, just being I eat. Maybe someone can improve upon the recipe.
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups agave syrup
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons agave syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 325 and coat a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray. Whisk together flour, powder, and salt.
- With the mixer on medium speed, beat butter and agave syrup until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Beat in vanilla.
- On low, beat in flour mixture alternately with milk. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 325 for 45 min, or until tests clean. Cool completely.
- Prepare frosting by beating together last 3 ingredients until smooth. Spread on cooled cake.