Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
These are lighter, fluffier than and just as sweet as store bought marshmallows. I found this recipe at volcanicnectar.com in my endless search for agave recipes and although I didn't use the Volcanic Nectar brand, they still turned out great! I prefer the Raw Madhava brand :)
- Place first 3 ingredients in stand mixer with whip attachment on high.
- * Marshmallows are approx 80% air. If a stand mixer or handheld (that has a very high speed setting) is not used, I cannot vouch as to the results.
- Meanwhile, dissolve the gelatin in cold water.
- Lightly spray 8 x 8 inch pan with cooking spray.
- * I use a silicon pan as it's much easier to remove the marshmallows.
- Sprinkle half of the cornstarch in the greased pan, tilting to coat evenly.
- Once the gelatin has dissolved, microwave on high for approx 30 seconds, in 10 second intervals, stirring after each.
- Add gelatin mixture to agave mixture and continue to whip on high for 10-20 minutes until fluffy and white.
- Spread evenly in pan with lightly greased spatula and let set for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Dust top of marshmallows with remaining cornstarch, cut into squares, remove from pan and dust again.
Our marshmallows came out pretty well. But this was the first time I have made marshmallows and I think I did something wrong. The gelatin clumped and there was flecks of hard gelatin in the marshmallows which made them impossible to eat because it was like tendons. Any tips on what I should have done differently to not get those flecks? If you ate around the flecks they were great. Update:10-13-09 Made these again two days ago. Found the recipe at the site mentioned above and found there was a difference in that one and in this one. There should only be two PACKAGES (or .5 oz) of unflavored gelatin. That is why they came out so lumpy last time. They came out great this time! Will be making more for our vacation.