Recipe by FloridaNative
From my Organic Gardening magazine, J/J 2012, this was on an ad page for Florida Crystals Organic Agave Nectars and Organic/Natural sugars. Sounds really good for these hot summer months. As always, I would cut the sugar to taste.
For the Fruit Salsa
- 1 lb fresh strawberries
- 4 fresh apricots or 2 large peaches
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup organic agave nectar or 1⁄2 cup organic sugar
- 1 -3 tablespoon chili powder (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely chopped of fresh mint
For the Chips
- 1 (8 1/2-10 1/2 ounce) bagorganic corn tortilla chips
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted (1 stick)
- 1⁄2 cup organic sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE: Make the chips first so they will be ready for use with the salsa!
- For the Fruit Salsa:
- Dice strawberries, apricots and pineapple into 1/2-inch pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine all fruit and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine lime juice and agave nectar.
- Add 1 tablespoon of chili powder (increase by teaspoonfuls to reach desired flavor); mix well.
- Add agave mixture, cilantro and mint to the fruit, tossing until combined.
- Serve immediately.
- For the Chips:.
- Preheat oven to 425 deg F.
- Grease two cookies sheets or line with parchment paper.
- Dip tortilla chips into melted butter.
- Using a pastry brush, remove excess butter to give each chip a thin, even layer of butter on both sides.
- Place chips on prepared cookie sheets.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon and chili powder to taste.
- Sprinkle over buttered chips, and bake for approximately 5 minutes, or just until golden.
- Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving.