Cristina Barry's Note:
This is my mom's recipe, one she's been making for years, and well loved by everyone including myself. Light dish to serve with chicken, pork and turkey.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pre heat oven 350.
- 2In a saute pan, melt butter and olive oil.
- 3Add onions and saute on medium heat until translucent and tender.
- 4In a small pot, scald milk with bay leaf and peppercorns on low heat.
- 5In a small pan, heat flour on medium heat for approximately 15 mins, whisk frequently until flour texture is soft and silky (this step, cuts the flour after taste).
- 6Once the onions are clear and tender, add the flour to the mix and whisk flour for approximately one minute.
- 7Remove pan from heat, strain milk and add to onions and whisk.
- 8Return to heat, whisk constantly until sauce thickens, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- 9Add salt, parmesan and nutmeg (bechamel sauce can be made a day in advance).
- 10Remove from heat, and add spinach.
- 11Add the spinach bechamel mix to an 8X8 oven proof dish.
- 12Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aga's Creamed Spinach With Bechamel Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (322 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 287.6
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 38.9 mg
- Sodium 923.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 13.2 g