Recipe by Zurie
A simple lemon bread, which is a delight with afternoon tea or coffee! Make this when you know that friends are dropping in for a chat!
Top Review by Maito
Holy cow is this delicious! I think the cake flour and creaming method really make this light and fluffy. I cut back the sugar 25% (I usually do, since we don't like things too sweet) and used Smart Balance. I added a piece of parchment under the long way of the loaf pan so it would be easy to remove. I thought the syrup looked like a lot, but it all got absorbed, and makes for a VERY nice lemon flavor. Scrumptious!!
- 1⁄4 lb butter, soft (125 g)
- 1 cup superfine sugar (250 ml caster sugar)
- 3 eggs
- 3 lemons, rind of, finely grated
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (125 ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (5 ml)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour (375 ml)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (10 ml)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (125 ml)
- 5 tablespoons water (75 ml)
- 3⁄4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed (187 ml)
Directions See How It's Made
- Oven: 350 deg F/ 180 deg Celsius.
- Butter a small bread pan.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one by one, and beat well after each addition Stir in the grated lemon rind, sour cream and vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, then stir into the wet mixture.
- Mix gently but well, then ladle into the greased bread tin.
- Bake 45 - 55 mins, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Take out, and turn out on to a rack or grid.
- Syrup: While bread bakes, put the 3 ingredients for the syrup into a heavy-bottomed pot, and heat to boiling while stirring now and then.
- Boil for about 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Pour the hot syrup over the bread.
- Cool bread. Serve in slices. Lovely with fresh filter coffee!