1/1 Photo of Afternoon Treat Lemon Bread
1 hr 10 mins
A simple lemon bread, which is a delight with afternoon tea or coffee! Make this when you know that friends are dropping in for a chat!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 lb butter, soft (125 g)
- 1 cup superfine sugar (250 ml caster sugar)
- 3 eggs
- 3 lemons, rind of, finely grated
- 1/2 cup sour cream (125 ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (5 ml)
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour (375 ml)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (10 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1Oven: 350 deg F/ 180 deg Celsius.
- 2Butter a small bread pan.
- 3Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- 4Add eggs one by one, and beat well after each addition Stir in the grated lemon rind, sour cream and vanilla.
- 5Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, then stir into the wet mixture.
- 6Mix gently but well, then ladle into the greased bread tin.
- 7Bake 45 - 55 mins, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Take out, and turn out on to a rack or grid.
- 8Syrup: While bread bakes, put the 3 ingredients for the syrup into a heavy-bottomed pot, and heat to boiling while stirring now and then.
- 9Boil for about 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- 10Pour the hot syrup over the bread.
- 11Cool bread. Serve in slices. Lovely with fresh filter coffee!
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Afternoon Treat Lemon Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1156 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3247.8
- Calories from Fat 1195
- Total Fat 132.8 g
- Saturated Fat 78.2 g
- Cholesterol 929.1 mg
- Sodium 2821.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 484.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 306.7 g
- Protein 41.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, rind of