Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Depends on what I have on hand for the extract, nut and jam combinations (I use Knott's Berry Farms Jams) ie: strawberry jam with walnut lemon crust. Your choice of any combination. I also use two different jams to make it particularly festive with lightly toasted tinted coconut. Play with your favourites and enjoy. Prep time includes toasting the nuts and coconut.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, room temp
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 large egg whites, room temp
- 3⁄4 teaspoon extract (vanilla, lemon, almond etc, your choice)
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted with the following salt and soda
- 1⁄8 salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup toasted nuts, chopped finely then measured (walnuts, almonds, pecans, black walnuts etc, your choice)
- 3⁄4 cup jam (your choice)
- 1⁄2 cup jam (your choice)
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened coconut, toasted
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Using the butter wrapper, grease a 13 x 9 x 2 baking pan and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer at medium speed, beat butter, powdered sugar and egg whites.
- On low speed of mixer, blend in extract and sifted flour mixture.
- Lightly hand mix the toasted nuts into dough.
- Spread dough evenly into prepared pan.
- Score the dough at least 1/2 way through with a knife or tines of a fork, straight across or in a swirly type pattern.
- Spread the 3/4 cup of jam on dough so it also fills the scores.
- Bake for 20- 25 minutes or until edges brown and top is firm - ovens vary.
- Cool the pan on a wire rack.
- When the dough is cool, spread the 1/2 Cup jam evenly on top, sprinkle with the 1/2 Cup toasted coconut.
- Cut into bars.
All I can say is yum. Thesre were really quick and easy to prepare, and the flexibility of the recipe is fantastic. I used almond extract, almonds and fruits of the forrest jam. But any combination of flavours can be achieved-simply by using a different kind of jam. Ill definitely make these again.