Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
hot, sweet nuts that go down sweet and then pack the heat. You can use any chile powder you like, Cayenne for less heat, chipotle, habanero, etc...I like the extreme heat Bih Jolokia's lend to this recipe. You can use salted nuts, but then omit the additional salt below.
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups unsalted almonds
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon bih jolokia chili powder
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line a large (11X17-inch) rimmed baking sheet with foil and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg white until stiff peaks form. Add the water and vanilla and beat again until stiff. Add the almonds to the mixture and stir gently to coat the almonds with the egg white mixture. In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar, salt and cinnamon. Add this mixture to the almonds and stir gently to mix well. Pour the almonds out onto the prepared baking sheet and carefully spread them out into a somewhat even layer. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for about an hour, stirring/flipping every 15 minutes, until the almonds look and feel dry. To check to see if the almonds were done, I carefully picked one up in my fingers and when I pressed around it, I didn’t get any wet sugar on my hands. The coating on the almond felt hard and crunchy. Cool completely before serving or packaging.