Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I know - I know, there are plenty of good soup recipes out there that will use up the leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, however this is the one that my family prefers so I need to save it here for them. Mild flavors for my mild-flavored kids. Can be made in the slow cooker or on the stove top. Instructions include both.
- 6 cups turkey broth or 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked turkey, diced
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Slow Cooker instructions.
- Combine all of the ingredients into the slow cooker.
- Cook over low heat for 6-8 hours.
- Stove Top instructions.
- Combine all of the ingredients into a large soup kettle.
- Simmer at least one hour or until the carrots are tender and the barley soft.
This is an easy and good hot meal! I had a snow day today and not a lot of ingredients in the fridge except for a little left over turkey I had to use up so this recipe was perfect. I followed your directions exactly except I added an additional can of chicken broth. Then I cooked it in my crockpot on low for 8 hours. I'm glad I added the additional chicken broth because this turned out more like a stew than a soup. I think next time I will add even more (or reduce the amount of barley used). It also tasted a little more "savory" than I would have liked, so next time I think I will use only ab ouyt 1 teaspoon of thyme. All in all, though it was a great soup for a cold snowy day. Thanks acerast for sharing.
Had some turkey in the freezer and needed to use it up. This is a delicious soup! Thanks acerast