Recipe by Acerast
I know - I know, there are plenty of good soup recipes out there that will use up the leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, however this is the one that my family prefers so I need to save it here for them. Mild flavors for my mild-flavored kids. Can be made in the slow cooker or on the stove top. Instructions include both.
Top Review by Denise in da Kitchen
This is an easy and good hot meal! I had a snow day today and not a lot of ingredients in the fridge except for a little left over turkey I had to use up so this recipe was perfect. I followed your directions exactly except I added an additional can of chicken broth. Then I cooked it in my crockpot on low for 8 hours. I'm glad I added the additional chicken broth because this turned out more like a stew than a soup. I think next time I will add even more (or reduce the amount of barley used). It also tasted a little more "savory" than I would have liked, so next time I think I will use only ab ouyt 1 teaspoon of thyme. All in all, though it was a great soup for a cold snowy day. Thanks acerast for sharing.
- 6 cups turkey broth or 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked turkey, diced
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Slow Cooker instructions.
- Combine all of the ingredients into the slow cooker.
- Cook over low heat for 6-8 hours.
- Stove Top instructions.
- Combine all of the ingredients into a large soup kettle.
- Simmer at least one hour or until the carrots are tender and the barley soft.