4 hrs 30 mins
pink cook's Note:
I have the complete set of Betty Crocker Recipe Card Libraries from the 70's and I posted this special recipe in request from ddalton to surprise her Mom in her 75th. Birthday because she lost it and wanted to have it again. Enjoy it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs beef round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 cups celery, sliced
- 4 medium onions, diced
- 2 (5 ounce) cans water chestnuts, drained and sliced
- 2 (6 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup flour, plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 2 cups Burgundy wine (or use 2 cups water plus 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon to substitute the Burgundy wine)
This stew is served with HOT CRAN-APPLE CIDER
- 1Heat oven to 325ºF. In roasting pan or 2 Dutch ovens, mix meat, carrots, celery, onion, water chestnuts and mushrooms.
- 2Mix flour, sugar and salt and stir into meat mixture. Then stir in tomatoes and Burgundy. Cover.
- 3Bake 4 hours or until meat is tender.
- 4CRAN-APPLE CIDER: in a large kettle or pot, combine all the ingredients. Heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Strain. Makes 25 servings (about 1/2 cup each).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for After-Ski Oven Stew N' Cider
Serving Size: 1 (561 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 479.1
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 92.2 mg
- Sodium 1291.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 28.5 g
- Protein 35.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef round steak