Recipe by pink cook
I have the complete set of Betty Crocker Recipe Card Libraries from the 70's and I posted this special recipe in request from ddalton to surprise her Mom in her 75th. Birthday because she lost it and wanted to have it again. Enjoy it.
Top Review by JAWescott4
I have the set, also. I have enjoyed alot of the recipes from this collection and this is one of everybodys' favorite. I would reccommend always using the Burgundy Wine as it seems to give it a very unique flavor and helps tenderize the meat. Thank you for reminding me of this great dish, I am on my way to the store to get the ingredients!
- 4 lbs beef round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 cups celery, sliced
- 4 medium onions, diced
- 2 (5 ounce) cans water chestnuts, drained and sliced
- 2 (6 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄4 cup flour, plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 2 cups Burgundy wine (or use 2 cups water plus 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon to substitute the Burgundy wine)
This stew is served with HOT CRAN-APPLE CIDER
- 2 quarts apple cider
- 1 1⁄2 quarts cranberry juice cocktail
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 4 large cinnamon sticks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons whole cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 325ºF. In roasting pan or 2 Dutch ovens, mix meat, carrots, celery, onion, water chestnuts and mushrooms.
- Mix flour, sugar and salt and stir into meat mixture. Then stir in tomatoes and Burgundy. Cover.
- Bake 4 hours or until meat is tender.
- CRAN-APPLE CIDER: in a large kettle or pot, combine all the ingredients. Heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Strain. Makes 25 servings (about 1/2 cup each).