Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
Desserts Fruit Oriental Vegetarian Asian While looking for something different to make for a party I came across this. I was surprised my the outcome. This does take time to make but I hope it is worth it for you.
- 2 medium pears, peeled and shredded
- 2 medium apples, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons dried tart cherries, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3 tablespoons marsala wine or 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 2 tablespoons almonds, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 36 wonton wrappers, 3 1/4-inch rounds
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- confectioners' sugar
- Original called for 2 tablespoons of butter to cook fruit inches.
- For filling, in a medium bowl toss together pears, apples, cherries, and lemon juice.
- In a large skillet cook fruit mixture in the 2 tablespoons butter or margarine over medium heat about 7 minutes.
- Reduce heat; stir in Marsala or apple juice, nuts cinnamon, and ginger. Cook for 3 minutes more or till liquid has evaporated, stirring often. Stir in syrup; set aside.
- For each wonton, spoon about 2 teaspoons filling into the center of a wrapper. Lightly moisten edges of wrapper with water.
- Fold top edge of wrapper over filling to opposite edge, making a half-moon. Press edges together to seal.
- Arrange wontons on a greased baking sheet. Brush with the melted butter.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar, if using. Bake in a 350F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or till golden. Cool slightly. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if using.
- NOTES : I made these tonight. I reduced the initial amount of butter and it was fine. I tried spraying them with butter flavored spray instead of brushing them with butter and they would have been better with the butter. I also used bigger, square wontons and folded them diagonally to make them like turnovers (made 6). They were very tasty. Serve with some fat-free vanilla frozen yogurt and they would be a great lowfat dessert.
- Fruit-and-nut-filled wontons add a subtle finish to the evening meal.
Made & reviewed for ZWT 4 ~ for Kumquat's Kookin' Kaboodles! I was desperate to try these & I am so glad that I did! We are used to fruit filled 'samosas' so I knew my family would like these & they were a HUGE hit! I must admit that it takes a few goes to get them prefect but once you start they are easy enough. I went with the apple juice over the marsala & can't wait to make these again. The kids really loved these too! Thanks so much for a new family favourite :)