Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I made this last night and it was great! Very simple and very good for you. I tasted it before adding the lemon juice and I think that I liked it better without, but the recipe (from a nutrition book - Becoming Vegetarian) called for it, so I've included it below. I added some cooked tomatoes at the same time as the yams. I used 2 very rounded teaspoons of some Chinese Chili Garlic sauce I had in the fridge. I ate it with a dolop of yogurt. Nothing else needed, it's a complete meal. My boyfriend ate it with Pita though. I can't wait for the leftovers tonight :-)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 cups peeled and diced yams
- 1 cup canned chick-peas
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup peanut butter
- 2 cups chopped collard greens or 2 cups kale
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos or 1 tablespoon tamari
- chili sauce
- Heat 2 Tblsp of stock in a large pot. Add the onion and saute over medium heat for 5 minutes, adding more stock if necessary.
- Add the remaining stock, yams, chickpeas, rice and salt; simmer for 45 minutes.
- In small bowl, blend the peanut butter with 1/2 cpu of liquid from the stew to make a smooth paste. Stir into the stew along with the greens and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice, pepper and tamari or Braggs; add chili sauce to taste.
- Adjust seasonings and serve.
I loved the texture of this dish...almost like a risotto. It was yummy and easy, and great for a quick weeknight dinner. I didn't use the full amount of peanut butter but it was plenty peanut-y for my tastes. Added some sriracha, as well.
I loved this. I cut the recipe in half since it was only my husband and I but then wished I hadn't! Made it with spinach and quinoa since that's what I had and extra PB because we love it. I also left out the lemon because I liked it how it was.