2 hrs 20 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is from the Rebar cookbook. Rebar is a fabulous restaurant in Victoria, BC...highly recommended! This is a delicious soup! It's just spicy enough, and very exotic-tasting. I really love the combined taste of ginger and cilantro. I pair a big bowl of soup with a whole wheat pita and a green salad. It can take some time to chop all of the veggies, but it's fun to make on a cold weekend day and the colours and smells are wonderful. I'm a slow cook, so the prep time might be shorter for you.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons minced ginger
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 medium yams, roughly chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can pineapple
- 3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 5 tablespoons natural smooth peanut butter
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, juice of
- favourite hot sauce, to taste
- 1Heat stock. I actually only use about 4 cups of stock, because I like my soup thick.
- 2In a big soup pot, heat oil. Saute onions with a pinch of salt for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, ginger and spices and sauté until everything's soft.
- 3Stir in red peppers and yams, cooking them until they start to stick to the bottom of the pot.
- 4Add stock, bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer until yams are tender.
- 5Add pineapple with juice, tomatoes and peanut butter and simmer 30 minutes. Add stock if needed.
- 6Purée the soup until smooth. I just use my blender.
- 7Season to taste with more salt, pineapple juice and/or hot sauce. Just before serving, add chopped cilantro and fresh lime juice.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for African Yam and Peanut Soup
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 411.8
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 861.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.7 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 8.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: