Prep 35 mins
Cook 10 mins
This marinated Tilapia is grilled hot while basted in the marinade to give it lots of extra flavor. It's a favorite around my room mates!
- 2 lbs tilapia fillets
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cayenne or 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients except for the tilapia.
- Mix well until the salt is disolved.
- Place tilapia in a glass dish and cover with marinade.
- Turn to coat and set aside for 20 minutes. Preheat grill.
- Pour marinade into a saucepan and bring to a boil.Allow to cool.
- Grill tilapia fillets of a medium high heat for about 4 to 5 minutes per side or until the fish flakes easily and has an even appearance all the way through.
- Serve by pouring a small amount of the sauce over the tilapia fillets.
This recipe tasted very good and was well recieved by the entire family. I made a couple changes to the recipe. I didn't have an onion so I used onion powder and it worked great. I also used red bell pepper which is sweeter and it was delicious. Finally, I reduced the oil to 1/4 cup because I didn't want oily sauce poured over the fish to keep it more healthy. We had ample sauce to marinate and for eating. Thanks for the recipe. We will do it again.
At first I was sad when I read the recipe, since I don't own a functioning grill, but this actually works rather well under the broiler. The only thing that I had to substitute was the bell pepper. Since we didn't have any fresh, I had to use some Polish marinated red peppers, but that only made it more flavorful. This recipe certainly kicks Tilapia in the head to wake it up. Thanks very much!
Tilapia is so boring and bland, but this recipe gives this fish so much oomph. It was delish!! My bf says it tasted better than most we've eaten at restaurants. He says he looks forward to eating this every friday. I wouldn't mind it either. The only thing I changed was using olive oil, left out the lemon b/c I didn't have any on hand, and halved the recipe to make for 2. Also you didn't state what kind of vinegar so i used rice vinegar. I think I will use less oil next time too. Thank you for all that flavor!