If you've never had a dish that combined sweet potatoes and peanuts, you're in for a treat. Even people who claim not to like sweet potatoes enjoy this stew. Serve over rice or couscous.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (peeled and grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 14 1/2 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 15 ounces dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup dry-roasted unsalted peanuts (chopped)
- 11. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper and garlic, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the brown sugar, ginger, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the sweet potatoes and stir to coat. Stir in the tomatoes, stock and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes.
- 22. About 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time, stir in the kidney beans and simmer until heated through.
- 33. Place the peanut butter in a small bowl and blend in about 1/4 cup of the broth, stirring until smooth, then stir it into the stew. If a thicker consistency is desired, puree 1 cup of the stew in a blender or food processor and stir back into pot.
- 44. Taste and adjust seasonings. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts and serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for African Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 347.6
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 238.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.6 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 13.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: