Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delicious soup combining the tastes of sweet potatoes, peanuts, and tomatoes. From Allrecipes.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup chopped dry-roasted unsalted peanuts
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 bunch chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Saute the onion 10 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Mix in the garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and cloves. Stir in the tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrot, and continue to cook and stir about 5 minutes.
- Pour water into the saucepan, and season the mixture with salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove the soup mixture from heat.
- In a food processor or blender, blend the soup and peanuts until almost smooth.
- Season with cayenne pepper.
- Return to the saucepan.
- Whisk in the peanut butter, and cook until heated through.
- Serve warm topped with fresh cilantro.
Made this for ZWT 7. Sweet and salty and spicy all at the same time. Froze half of it so will see if defrosts and reheats ok. Will be keeping this one. Thanks for posting lazyme