Adapted from the Moosewood cookbook for West African Groundnut Stew. Wine or other fruit and vegetable juices (example, apricot or tomato) would also work as substitutes for the liquids. Thanks to Brooke the Cook in WI for putting this recipe in her best of 2008 cookbook!
- 1⁄2 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1 eggplant, diced (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (15 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can apple juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- coconut (optional)
- Heat oil over medium high heat and add onions. Saute for a few minutes, until starting to show a little color.
- Add garlic and ginger, and sauté a few more minutes. Stir in spices. Add cabbage, sweet potato, eggplant (if using), broth, tomatoes, apple juice, and salt.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer, mostly covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Check sweet potatoes for doneness. Turn off heat, stir in peanut butter until melts, then add lemon juice to combine.
- Serve topped with cilantro, parsley, and peanuts.
Very tasty, low in fat and loaded with chunks of healthy veggies! I did add the optional eggplant and thought it was a great addition. It's got just the right amount of spice. The peanut flavor isn't overpowering; it's perfectly subtle. The fresh chopped cilantro/parsley garnish is a must! I also used the peanuts to garnish. I would have also used the coconut garnish, but had none. Still awesome! I'll make this again. Thanx! I uploaded a video for the ZWT Zingo Video challenge: http://www.recipezaar.com/sitenews/post.php?pid=944&pn=1&pageref=Photo_Video-925899&vw_arrange_order=DESC&vw_sort_order=MOST_RECENT
Fabulous!! The flavors in this dish are exciting and go together perfectly! Like Maito noted, it's also very versatile; I used sherry cooking wine in place of the apple juice, added half an eggplant, a medium sized sweet potato, a full onion, 2T of natural peanut butter and did not use the cabbage (all out). I don't keep ground coriander on hand, so I used 1t curry powder in its place, plus 1/4-1/2t of cayenne - boy howdy this was hot hot hot! I topped mine with fresh cilantro and unsweetened shredded coconut and DH used cilantro and roasted peanuts. DH enjoyed it so much that he ate it for supper and a late night snack last night! I most certainly plan to make this again, its wonderful! Made for Please Review game and ZWT4.
I'm with Kumquat! Delicious! I skipped the eggplant, used white wine for the apple juice, but otherwise followed instructions. The result was a rich, thick but not at all heavy soup. Quite luscious. I'll make this more...