Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Clippped from an old copy of Southern Living. Directions are for either stovetop or rice cooker.
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) whole chickens
- 1 quart water
- 3 medium onions, chopped, divided
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter or 2 -3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup blanched almond, chopped coarsely
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (golden or brown)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- Place chicken in a large stockpot or Dutch oven and cover with the water, along with 1 of the chopped onions, and bring to a boil.
- Once it reaches boiling, lower the heat and let simmer on a high enough heat to keep the water just under the boiling point, until the chicken is cooked, about 45 minutes or so.
- Remove chicken from broth, but save the cooking liquid.
- Let the chicken cool slightly, then skin and bone it, and cut the meat into bite size pieces and set aside.
- Set a bowl in the sink with a colander set inside it and pour in the broth from the pot to strain it.
- Measure out 3 cups of the liquid for this recipe.
- Melt butter in large skillet and saute remaining 2 chopped onions until tender.
- Remove onion from pan using a slotted spoon and set aside with the chopped chicken meat.
- Add the almonds to the same pan and cook on low just a few minutes until golden (be careful not to burn them).
- Remove nuts from pan and add to the chicken mixture and proceed with one of the two options below then jump to the end of these steps.
- STOVETOP INSTRUCTIONS: Add the 3 cups reserved liquid, the raisins, and the salt and pepper to the same pan and bring to a boil.
- Add rice, cover, and reduce heat.
- Simmer rice 20 minutes or until tender.
- OR RICE COOKER INSTRUCTIONS: If you have a rice cooker, dump contents of skillet (the nuts and any remaining butter), along with the raw rice, 3 cups broth, raisins, and salt & pepper into a rice cooker, stir to even out the ingredients, and cook according to rice cooker instructions.
- When rice is finished, add the chicken mixture to the rice and toss with a fork to fluff and mix and serve.