Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
I found this on the web after searching for African recipes that included broccoli for the Zaar World Tour 2005. It was on the mom-mom website.
Top Review by Frankie&Johnny
This is the second time I've made this and I love it! The first time I used sour cream and pine nuts and the second time I use plain yogurt and crushed peanuts. The yogurt worked fine but I liked it better with pine nuts. Also, it's important to let the veggies cool a bit before adding the sour cream - I didn't do that and the heat made the sour cream too runny. Great recipe!
- 4 1⁄2 cups broccoli florets, small
- 2 1⁄2 cups cauliflower florets, small
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, diagonally sliced 1/4 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 cup sour cream (reduced fat ok)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mild honey (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pine nuts or 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped toasted peanuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam first 3 ingredients, covered, 2 minutes. Rinse broccoli mixture under cold water;
- drain well.
- Combine oil, salt and next 5 ingredients (salt through crushed red pepper) in a small skillet; cook over medium heat 2 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring constantly.
- Combine spice mixture, sour cream, vinegar, and honey in a bowl; whisk well. Add to broccoli mixture; toss well to coat. Stir in green onions just before serving, and sprinkle with nuts.