3 hrs 20 mins
From "Delicious and Dependable Slow Cooker Recipes" by Judith Finlayson. Serve with white rice. Recipe calls for hot peppers and peanuts. I made it with 1 tsp. cayenne pepper instead of red chili pepper. By the way, I like the way it tastes cold the next day too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 lbs chicken pieces (skin on breasts, skinless legs and thighs)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 red chili peppers, minced or 1/2 green chili pepper
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns, cracked
- 1/2 cup condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, in batches, and brown on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
- 2Reduce heat to medium, add onions and cook, stirring, until softened. Add garlic, chili pepper, curry powder, oregano, salt and peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth, tomato sauce and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- 3Pour mixture over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork.
- 4In a bowl, combine peanut butter and sherry. Add a little cooking liquid and stir to blend. Add to slow cooker along with red pepper. Cover and cook on high for 20 minutes, until pepper is tender. Discard bay leaf.
- 5Serve over hot white rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for African-Style Braised Chicken in Peanut Sauce (Crock Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (292 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 503.9
- Calories from Fat 309
- Total Fat 34.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 103.7 mg
- Sodium 824.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 33.2 g