Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From "Delicious and Dependable Slow Cooker Recipes" by Judith Finlayson. Serve with white rice. Recipe calls for hot peppers and peanuts. I made it with 1 tsp. cayenne pepper instead of red chili pepper. By the way, I like the way it tastes cold the next day too!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 lbs chicken pieces (skin on breasts, skinless legs and thighs)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 red chili peppers, minced or 1⁄2 green chili pepper
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black peppercorns, cracked
- 1⁄2 cup condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, in batches, and brown on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
- Reduce heat to medium, add onions and cook, stirring, until softened. Add garlic, chili pepper, curry powder, oregano, salt and peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth, tomato sauce and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Pour mixture over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork.
- In a bowl, combine peanut butter and sherry. Add a little cooking liquid and stir to blend. Add to slow cooker along with red pepper. Cover and cook on high for 20 minutes, until pepper is tender. Discard bay leaf.
- Serve over hot white rice.